United States Sports Academy, Daphne, AL
- Master of Sports Science, coaching and sports medicine, 2006
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Masters in Environmental Planning, 1994
University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
- B.S. in Biology/Geology, 1990
Head Coach, World Cup of Race Walking, Saransk, Russia--May 2012
Team USA Manager, World Cup of Race Walking, Chihuahua, Mexico--May 2010
Team USA Coach, World Cup of Race Walking, Cheboksary, Russia--May 2008
National Walk Coach for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation's "Team Challenge" endurance fundraising campaign--May 2007-Present
- Co-wrote training manuals for half-marathon runners and walkers and for run and walk coaches
- Created walk coach education program and lead two to three coaches certification clinics annually
- "Cyber-coach" the Foundation's National Walk Team.
Dave's World Class Racewalking--October, 1992 - Present
- Organizer, coach, lecturer for a series of two- to three-day workshops for
racewalking clubs throughout the United States, Canada, Europe and Africa.
- Participants receive individual video-taped technique analysis, training heart-rate analysis, lectures on the physiological principles behind fast racewalking, racing
strategy, putting together a periodized year-round training program and injury prevention.
USA Track & Field athlete representative--1998 - Present
- Athletes' Advisory Committee Representative, Men's Racewalking
- Men's Development Committee Representative for Racewalking
- Racewalking Championship Site Selection Committee Chair
- USATF-Long Island Racewalk Chair
Dave's World Class Racewalking Camps, various sites throughout the
U.S.--August, 1991 - Present
- Initiated a series of highly successful walking camps for competitive
racewalkers. Arrange all aspects of camp operations from promotion, to hiring
outside speakers and assistant coaches, to conducting lectures, workouts, and
video-taped technique analysis of campers. Have conducted one or two week-long camps
annually for campers aged 8 to 84 since 1991.
The Center Club, Alexandria, VA--September, 1991 - March, 1992
- Fitness Instructor, setting up Nautilus programs for new clients, and
assisting club members with weight and aerobic conditioning programs.
Healing Spring Ranch, Tioga, TX--June, 1990 - September 1991
- Fitness Instructor in-residence at Gary Null's 100-acre spa, setting up
weight training and stretching programs for clients of the ranch, and coaching
members of Gary's Natural Living Running and Walking Club.
Camp Sparta, Livingston Manor, NY--May, 1985 - September, 1988
- Spent four summers assisting Howard Jacobson in conducting his racewalking
camps at "Camp Sparta" and at other camps in the Pocono Mountains.
Video taped walkers to point out technique flaws, and worked with the campers to
improve their racewalking techniques.
- CPR/AED certification renewed biennially, most recently in August 2009
- American Heart Association Heart Saver CPR, May, 2000
- Leukemia Society of America Marathon Coaches Certification, December,
- USA Track & Field Level I Coaching Certification, December, 1995
- American Red Cross Basic Lifeguarding, June 1995
- American Red Cross Community CPR, May, 1995
- American Red Cross Community First Aid and Safety, May 1995
- YMCA Basic SCUBA, June, 1985
- Coach of the National Racewalk Teams of Fiji and Ghana.
- Author of The Complete Guide to Racewalking and The
Complete Guide to Marathon Walking. Also co-wrote Precision Walking,
a walkers' users manual for Polar heart rate monitors, and a series of twenty
eight books on each of the major-league baseball teams. Contributing writer for
- National Park junkie. Have visited, camped, kayaked, canoed, rock-climbed and backpacked in every U.S. National Park in the continental U.S. and Hawaii--still four to go in Alaska!.
- Accomplished SCUBA diver. Spent four months in the Virgin Islands as a
marine science student at the West Indies Laboratory, Christiansted, St. Croix.